The kitchen is unquestionably the heart of the home. It’s where we start our days and catch up with one another over breakfast or coffee. That’s why careful consideration should be given to its layout and decor. Here, we’ve gathered beautiful and inspiring kitchen ideas for every style and budget; whether you’re planning a completely new kitchen design or just a simple update—we have it all!
What Are The 5 Types Of Kitchens?
Before you jump into any project, it’s important to consider all aspects of your kitchen—from its size and layout to its function as an entertainment space. Here’s a breakdown of the five primary types of kitchens:
- The One-Wall Kitchen. This is most often found in smaller kitchens. It’s space efficient without sacrificing function, and cabinets can be installed against a single wall—either upper/lower or shelving over base cabinets.
- The Galley Kitchen. This type has appliances on one side, counter space on the other, and a corridor in the middle where people can walk and work. It’s typically only open on one end (sometimes both ends).
- The U-Shaped or ‘Horseshoe’ Kitchen. The U-Shaped kitchen consists of cabinetry along three adjacent walls and is ideal for larger kitchens. If all three walls have cabinets, the room can feel cramped. Choose upper cabinets on only one or two walls and leave an open space for decorative tiles or appliances.
- The L-Shaped Kitchen. As separate dining rooms have declined, L-shaped kitchens have become more popular. These kitchens are frequently large enough to accommodate multiple people preparing and cooking food and a dining or entertaining area.
- The G-Shaped Kitchen. This kitchen layout extends the U-shaped kitchen by a fourth ‘leg.’ This serves as a ‘peninsular,’ extending a portion of the way across the open area, providing extra seating for guests or space for a second cook to work.
What is the Best Kitchen Layout?
Everyone’s needs are different, so the best kitchen layout is a workable solution for your lifestyle and personal preferences. A U-shaped kitchen may be the solution if you’re looking for an efficient space where multiple cooks can work together but still need to leave room for guests or entertaining. If you’re cooking solo most of the time but also like having extra seating space when guests come over, consider an L-shaped as one of your kitchen design ideas.
What Increases The Kitchen’s Value The Most?
The biggest factor in adding value to your kitchen is how well it functions. You can check out kitchen ideas with islands or peninsulas for an easier cooking experience. This type of layout will give you ample counter space and extra seating for guests.
When remodeling your kitchen, focus on small changes that will make the space feel more modern and functional. Moving walls, plumbing lines, or electrical wires is expensive—so don’t do it unless it’s necessary!
Give your cabinets a facelift by checking out for kitchen decorating ideas, such as adding new hardware, paint or fresh stain. Try replacing old cabinets with streamlined ones—or updating the countertop with white quartz or marble.
It may be overwhelming to think about how you can update your kitchen. But don’t despair—Beautifully Bespoke can help you get the job done quickly and easily. Our team can make your kitchen ideas a reality by working with you to create the perfect design for your home. Contact us today to get started!